Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas! Let's Eat!













 I love to try new recipes, especially around the holidays.  There is nothing like a new dish to break up the usual holiday fare.  Lucky for me I work with some fantastic ladies who have some great recipes and provided me with some inspiration for my Christmas Eve meal for K's family. 

I can credit Jillian (from the Holiday Dresses a go-go post) for the sweet potato and monkey bread recipes.  This was the first time I made the sweet potatoes and they turned out awesome! Creamy, sweet potatoes smothered in sugary coconut -- borderline dessert fare here.  The kiddos especially loved them. 

The monkey bread I have made in the past, and K keeps asking me to make it again.  After discussing that I needed to create my own holiday traditions at home, Jillian recommended I give these a go.  This is Jillian's recipe again (minus nuts) from the link under the photo.  I have decided these yummy rolls will be a new Christmas morning tradition.  They are the perfect warm, comforting, and delicious breakfast to devour before opening presents!  And super easy to make, too.

My friend Audra brought the cranberry sauce to a recent holiday potluck at work and it was a major hit.  I decided I would make it for Christmas Eve dinner and it was super easy.  There is a BIG difference between canned and homemade cranberries.  The orange adds a sweetness, the cranberries are still tart, with a cinnamon hint.  So good!

And the Oreo truffles...we have a love hate relationship.  Love to make these, everyone always raves about them, and they couldn't be easier or turn out cuter.  The problem!?  I can't stop eating them.  I will eat myself silly on these...and then push it beyond silly into food coma.  But oh so delicious!

Christmas dinner this year will be at home, small, and very simple.   It is going to be just the two of us. K and I will have honey baked ham, mashed potatoes & gravy, candied sweet potatoes, broccoli, rolls, and apple blossoms for dessert.  And for breakfast - Monkey Bread, hot cocoa, fresh fruit, and Oreo truffles (if there are any left) :)  In between the eating we will exchange gifts, open stockings, and relax in our Christmas jammies.

I hope that this Christmas brings you many blessings, laughs, hugs, tears of joy, and a few spoilings from loved ones.  Don't forget to slow down and enjoy every moment.  Remember to laugh with  your family (or at them sometimes) and always tell them you love them.  Celebrate the little things.  Let's enjoy our Christmas holiday and hopefully time away from work!!!

Feliz Navidad!



2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Hope everything turned out fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...all of your food sounds delish. I want to try the scalloped potatoes you mentioned. Matt's favorite!

    ReplyDelete